Department: Player Development
Supervisor: Hitting Coordinator
Classification: Full-Time / Exempt
The Houston Astros is currently seeking a Minor League Hitting Coach to implement the Astros hitting development program at a minor league affiliate location or at our complex in West Palm Beach, FL. Essential Duties / Responsibilities :
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requirements / Qualifications :
- Implement the organizational hitting development program
- Plan daily hitting practice while coordinating with other members of the field staff
- Design practice environments that illicit desired performance for each hitter
- Analyze hitter performance deficiencies using various tools, reports and technologies
- Prescribe and monitor a development plan for each hitter based on areas of opportunity
- Collaborate with other disciplines within Sports Medicine & Performance to identify and act on solutions related to physical limitations/opportunities
- Communicate plans, goals and progress with players and relevant staff members throughout checkpoints
- Collaborate with other departments (Performance Science, R&D, Pro Scouting, etc.) to align player goals and keeping relevant staff informed on player progress
- Assist other field staff when able and necessary with normal day to day operations at complex (throwing BP, hitting fungoes, etc)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Coaching experience.
- Ability to understand and advocate for changes due to new information and or tools in baseball.
- Interest in strength & conditioning and analytics.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Professional or collegiate playing experience is a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- Strength & Conditioning related degree is a plus.
This job operates both outside in a baseball field and office setting. This role will involve being in the heat and on the individual’s feet for long periods of time. At times the noise could become excessive. Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This role routinely will be in an inside or outside type of environment for long periods of time, of which includes bending, throwing, and swinging a bat. This role will require the individual to be physically moving for long periods of time. This role will require the individual to lift and carry up to 25 pounds throughout the day. The individual must be able to visual acuity to distinguish pitches and facilitate instruction.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time as well as bending, reaching, throwing, and swinging a bat.
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors.
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Travel
Will be stationed at one of our minor league affiliates and will include overnight travel throughout the season.
- Triple-A Affiliate: Sugar Land, TX
- Double-A Affiliate: Corpus Christi, TX
- High-A Affiliate: Asheville, NC
- Low-A Affiliate: Fayetteville, NC
- Spring Training Complex: West Palm Beach, Florida
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.