Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following; other duties may be assigned)
Responsible for the oversight of the organization’s audit procedures and the effectiveness of systems and controls; identifies areas of potential internal exposure and areas for improving operational efficiency; ensures procedures/systems are accurate with an emphasis on financial and operational best practices, controls and efficiency. Develops and maintain constructive business relations with all levels of management and operational employees. Alerts management of potential risks and makes recommendations on matters of significance. Manages projects and trains new staff in standard procedures and supervises the internal audit staff. Cooperates with outside auditors firm(s) in any undertaking that may expedite their work.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Manages multiple department functions with an operational / financial/Information Technology(IT) focus.
- Manages activities of broad functional area through first level management and professionals, including full human resources, cost and budgetary accountability at the departmental level.
- Decisions related to implementation of department strategy, technology, intradepartmental coordination, and business outcomes.
- Results have significant impact on costs and achievement of department objectives.
- Identifies opportunities which make a significant difference to the performance of multiple department functions and possibly organization-wide impact.
- Makes decisions for large-scale projects, a closely related set of projects and/or initiatives involving multiple functional areas.
- Establishes operational objectives for multiple functions including audit plans and delegating assignments to subordinate managers and senior professionals.
- Works within broad guidelines; applies advanced technical knowledge of multiple functions to solve complex problems which may have long-term impact on the department. While also performing QA/QC functions on both manager and staff level work products.
- Manages multiple functions within a department with responsibility for results in terms of costs, methods and employees.
- Responsible for managing 3rd party resources, as needed or defined by approved audit plan/budget.
- Responsible for performance reviews, promotional decisions, and pay actions for professionals and management.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred in Accounting/Business.
- Previous management experience of multiple managers and staff.
- Previous experience presenting key issues/risks/recommendations to executive levels of management.
- Knowledge/Experience with Data Analysis tools and Visual Applications (i.e. PowerBI, Tableau)
- Typically requires minimum of 15+ years general audit experience; preferred operational experience in the business a plus.
- Professional Certification required: CIA or CPA. Additional preferred certifications in include CISA, and/or CFE.
Additional Calpine Information:
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here