Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
Calpine’s Battery Energy Storage Sites use multiple battery technologies to store and discharge electrical energy for the bulk electric system. Maintenance and Service agreements vary per site and location. This position requires proficiency in both Operations and Electrician duties and responsibilities for battery locations. You will be responsible to support the operations and maintenance activities while complying with all Federal, State, Municipality laws and regulations, along with contractual obligations. The daily routine will consist of ensuring the BESS systems are fully available and charging/discharging per dispatch. Acknowledging and responding to alarms. Performing plant rounds, inspections, and general housekeeping. Authoring, reviewing, and updating: Standard Operating Procedures, Emergency Response Guides, EHS Policies, performing scheduled maintenance via assigned work orders, submitting daily availability declarations to scheduling coordinators, keeping the plant logbook, managing contractors, issuing & tracking permits for safe work, confined space, hot work and energized electrical work, review and update P&ID and electrical drawings. Preparing and hanging Lock Out Tag Out. De-energizing or re-energizing equipment fed from multiple AC and/or DC power sources, hanging temporary electrical grounds. Maintain site 125VDC backup batteries, chargers, and emergency generator. Individual will need to certify for annual use of a fork truck and high reach. (Man lift). Be able to work efficiently alone with limited supervision at times. Work a rotating schedule that could consist of weekends, evening and/or nightshifts. Respond to call-ins and emergencies in a timely manner. On occasion, be requested to travel to other BESS Calpine sites to assist with outages or participate in training or meetings. Work towards and complete Calpine’s Operator and IC&E qualifications standards as they apply to this site. Perform light computer work and reporting. Keep plant and workspaces clean and tools properly stowed and secured.
- Senior-level; recognized technical expertise in own and possibly related functions.
- Performs a variety of complex technical service/support duties requiring specialized knowledge.
- Regularly makes decisions on non-routine or escalated technical issues.
- Independently prioritizes and executes responsibilities effectively for a single trade, group of related tasks or functional area.
- Checks own work and possibly the work of others; work results are of the highest quality standards and advanced technical competency.
- Errors may be serious, usually not subject to direct verification or check.
- Duties and tasks reflect substantial variety and complexity.
- Resolves the most complex technical issues, conferring with Team Leader occasionally; may serve as resource to others in resolution of complex issues.
- Works under limited supervision.
- Prioritizes own weekly schedule and may guide others in the completion of tasks within clearly defined schedules as set by management.
- Regularly provides on-the-job skills training to others in complex technical areas.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. from floor to chest.
- Must be able to ascend and descend ladders.
- Must be able to traverse over uneven walkways and surfaces.
- Must be able to wear Arc-Flash suit and other Personal Protective Equipment
- Must be able to walk up to ½ mile at a time.
- Must be able to stand for hours.
- Must be able to sit for hours.
- Must be able to squat at knees and bend at waste.
- High School Diploma, degree from technical/vocational school, military service or equivalent.
- Senior-level; minimum of 5 years’ experience in instrument/electrical and control system applications.7-10 years industry experience in an industrial work setting with direct experience for LOTO, hazard isolation, ground, and all other OSHA safety requirements.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with an advanced understanding of chemistry, physics, electricity, and mathematics.
- Journey-level mechanical, generally 5 years directly related experience.
- Requires previous experience using test equipment.
- Experience with electrical equipment repairs, control system experience preferred, strong electrical and process operation aptitude, general understanding of mechanical, physics and mathematics. Must be able to work safely, and along at times.
- Must be able to manage contractor labor.
- Must be able to properly and safely de-energize Low, Medium, and High Voltage Electrical equipment that are fed from multiple sources.
- Must be able to safely verify electrical equipment is de-energized.
- Must be able safely install temporary grounding on de-energized electrical equipment.
- Must be able to clearly communicate orally and in writing (English language)
- Experience with DCS programming and configuration
- Advanced certifications/licensures. Valid state driver’s license.
- Hourly range rate - $39.35 to $49.19
Additional Calpine Information:
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here