At ExxonMobil, our vision is to lead in energy innovations that advance modern living and a net-zero future. As one of the world’s largest publicly traded energy and chemical companies, we are powered by a unique and diverse workforce fueled by the pride in what we do and what we stand for.
The success of our Upstream, Product Solutions and Low Carbon Solutions businesses is the result of the talent, curiosity and drive of our people. They bring solutions every day to optimize our strategy in energy, chemicals, lubricants and lower-emissions technologies.
We invite you to bring your ideas to ExxonMobil to help create sustainable solutions that improve quality of life and meet society’s evolving needs. Learn more about our What and our Why and how we canwork together.
ExxonMobil's state-of-the-art campus north of Houston serves as home to its Upstream, Product Solutions and Low Carbon Solutions businesses and their associated service groups. The facility opened in 2014 and accommodates more than 10,000 employees and visitors.
By bringing many global functional groups together, the campus provides employees with the tools and capabilities needed today, and in the future, to achieve business objectives and accelerate the discovery of new resources, technologies and products. It was designed to foster improved collaboration, creativity and innovation and enhance the company’s ability to attract, develop and retain the top talent in the industry.
The campus is located in Spring, Texas, on 385 wooded acres immediately to the west of Interstate Highway 45 (I-45), at the intersection of I-45 and the Hardy Toll Road, approximately 25 miles from the cultural vibrancy of downtown Houston.
The campus was constructed to the highest standards of energy efficiency and environmental stewardship. Its design incorporates extensive research into best practices in building and workplace design through extensive benchmarking of the world’s top academic, research, and corporate facilities.
Learn more about what we do in Houston here.
Clinton, New Jersey is a picturesque Northeast town characterized by its timeless colonial architecture and natural beauty. It is also home to ExxonMobil’s Technology & Engineering Company (EMTEC), a facility comprised of 432 labs, 92 pilot plants and 850 offices. As one of the engines for innovation within our company, our Clinton facility employs some of the world’s leading minds in their respective fields, with over half of our workforce holding advanced degrees in engineering, chemistry and many more areas.
At our EMTEC Technology Center, we provide R&D support for our three main businesses: Upstream, Product Solutions and Low Carbon Solutions businesses. We research, develop and deliver differentiated, high-impact, game-changing technologies and products, foundations of our competitive advantage. We focus on both long-term fundamental research and knowledge building as well as shorter-horizon commercial applications. Our time is split between office and lab work, collaborating with research teams to refine concepts and fuel innovation.
Learn more about what we do in Clinton here.
What role you will play in our team
By joining Process Innovation and Scale-Up with ExxonMobil Technology and Engineering Company, you will be an integral technical contributor to process development and scale-up programs applying kinetics, transport, and reactor engineering fundamentals and process modeling skill sets to tackle process development, scale-up, and unit design problems critical to developing new process technologies from concept ideas to commercial scale deployment.
What you will do
- Develop and apply fit for purpose phenomenological models to guide screening, development and design of new process technologies with applications across ExxonMobil Business Divisions; Upstream Company, Product Solutions Company, and Low Carbon Solutions
- Apply aptitude for and strong background in fundamentals based modeling, particularly in the areas of complex reaction kinetics, heat and mass transfer in unit operations design for advanced reactors or separations, and a broad interest applying these skills to process development
- Work collaboratively within cross-discipline teams with expertise in experimentation (active materials development, lab-scale experiments, and pilot plant studies), process engineering and equipment design, utilizing models to support the design of experiments, validation, and scale-up activities
- Develop and maintain advance new modeling capabilities for phenomenological and dynamic models application
- Serve as a subject matter expert and technical mentor in topics related to kinetic modeling, phenomenological modeling, and reactor engineering to the research and process engineering community
- Many problems rely on a sound fundamentals in chemical engineering unit operations – with a suitable academic/experience background, that can be developed through assignments on projects
Skills and Qualifications
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or related discipline with relevant thesis work
- Demonstrated experience with:
- Developing and applying multi-scale models of process units (i.e. reacting and separation systems, electrochemical processes, membrane/adsorption separations, steady-state/dynamic/cyclic etc.)
- Building, solving, and optimizing robust kinetic models which incorporate fundamental process chemistry
- Computational languages: gPROMS, MATLAB, Python
- Strong ability and interest to work on applications driven by abstract problems and develop creative out-of-the box solutions
- Driven and self-motivated
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Preferred Qualifications/ Experience
- Lab and/or pilot scale experimentation
- Process scale-up experience understanding the impact of scale on unit operations/commercial-scale embodiment/design
- Experience with process simulation platforms (APSEN, HYSYS, Pro-II), hybrid modeling (i.e: PINNs, AI/ML), Techno-economic Analysis
An ExxonMobil career is one designed to last. Our commitment to you runs deep: our employees grow personally and professionally, with benefits built on our core categories of health, security, finance, and life.
We offer you:
- Pension Plan: Enrollment is automatic and at no cost to you. The basic benefit is a monthly annuity to be paid to you in retirement for the rest of your life.
- Savings Plan: You can contribute between 6% and 20% of your pay and are encouraged to enroll right away. If you contribute at least 6% to your savings plan, the Company will contribute a 7% match.
- Workplace Flexibility: We have several programs such as “Flex your Day”, providing ad-hoc flexibility around when and where you work, as well as longer-term programs such as leaves of absence and part-time work.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Culture of Health: Programs and resources to support your wellbeing.
- Employee Health Advisory Program: Provides confidential professional counseling for you and your family, including tools and resources promoting mental health and resiliency at no additional cost to you.
- Disability Plan: Income replacement for when you cannot work due to illness or injury occurring on or off the job. Enrollment is automatic and at no cost to you.
More information on our Company’s benefits can be found at www.exxonmobilfamily.com.
Please note benefits may be changed from time to time without notice, subject to applicable law.
ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or physical or mental disability.
Nothing herein is intended to override the corporate separateness of local entities. Working relationships discussed herein do not necessarily represent a reporting connection, but may reflect a functional guidance, stewardship, or service relationship.
Exxon Mobil Corporation has numerous affiliates, many with names that include ExxonMobil, Exxon, Esso and Mobil. For convenience and simplicity, those terms and terms like corporation, company, our, we and its are sometimes used as abbreviated references to specific affiliates or affiliate groups. Abbreviated references describing global or regional operational organizations and global or regional business lines are also sometimes used for convenience and simplicity. Similarly, ExxonMobil has business relationships with thousands of customers, suppliers, governments, and others. For convenience and simplicity, words like venture, joint venture, partnership, co-venturer, and partner are used to indicate business relationships involving common activities and interests, and those words may not indicate precise legal relationships.