ConocoPhillips is a leading oil and gas company which is hiring a Cost Controller III for contract positions. The Cost Controller III is a specialist, knowledgeable in all aspects of Cost Control and change management.
Located on Alaska’s North Slope in the National Petroleum Reserve (NPR-A), the Willow project is estimated to produce 180,000 barrels of oil per day at its peak.
The economic impact of the Willow project will be sizable. According to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) estimates, Willow could generate between $8 billion and $17 billion in new revenue for the federal government, the state of Alaska, the North Slope Borough, and local communities. The initial phase of Willow development will include a new Willow Central Processing Facility (WCF), three drill sites, pipelines, roads, bridges and supporting infrastructure.
The Willow project is spread over several phases and areas.
2023 – 2025 - Detailed Design
2023 – 2024 - WOC Fabrication
2025 – 2027 - WOC North Slope Installation and Commissioning
2025 – 2027 - WCF / DS Sealift Module Fabrication
2027 – 2029 – WCF / DS North Slope Installation and Commissioning
Willow will be a greenfield design including all processing facilities, utilities, drilling equipment, camp, and power generation.Key Accountabilities
- Supporting the Implementation and maintenance of the integrated project cost management system assuring timely and accurate cost data input to the system.
- Tailoring existing procedures and providing guidance to the Facilities install team (Willow Central Facilities, Willow Operations Center, Drillsites (BT1, BT2 and BT3), Module transportation and North Slope Module movement support) for various project control cost activities including budget preparation, forecasts, related cost engineering and reporting project performance against benchmarks.
- Establishing and managing the Willow Facilities Install Project Scopes WBS’s
- Assisting in the standardization of all Willow Facilities install cost reporting for all frequencies (e.g. ad-hoc, monthly, etc.)
- Interfacing and coordinating with the project teams and Contractor’s Cost specialists (where necessary) to ensure that cost data is incorporated into the integrated project budget and forecast in a timely and accurate manner.
- Developing and Reporting all costs in a tabular and time phased spend plans including budgets, change orders, trends, forecast at completion [FAC], cost variance analysis for use by all major project stakeholders and senior management/executive review.
- Issuing the Facilities install project cost forecasts and performance reports for review by project team.
- Analyzing all incoming project cost data and providing an early warning process by variance and trend analysis and recommending viable recovery or work around plans as required to the Project Teams.
- Develop monthly (VOWD) and prepare the monthly Accrual.
- Coordinating with the Planning/Scheduling position to ensure that the facilities installation budget aligns with the project schedule and the execution plan timelines.
- Oversight of the change/trend management process of the contractors and stewarding the owner’s trend and change management process.
- Registering and evaluating all change orders for cost impact.
- Coordinating the development of the monthly project cost forecasts, the monthly trend and change reporting and the monthly contingency drawdown.
- Assisting in coordination of flow of information related to contractor input into the contractor’s estimate and to the recasting effort associated with the overall control estimate.
- Review/approve contractor cost/progress reports.
- Analyze contractor-prepared cost performance reports using Earned Value methods.
- Coordinate the preparation and approval of Purchase Orders and Requisitions to authorize work.
- Process periodic invoices and liaise with the Program Cost Control Lead in order to maximize the effective use of resources.
- Coordinate with SCM for the proper project close-out.
- Communicating to the Project Controls Lead- North Slope Install and the construction team any scope, schedule, or cost risks/opportunities in a timely manner.
- Communicating to the Project Controls Lead- North Slope Install from the approved ConocoPhillips Standards and Policies.
- Being a leader in HSE performance by communicating, fostering, supporting, and enforcing the Willow HSE policies, procedures, guidelines, requirements, and objectives.
- Current/valid driver’s license
- Bachelors’ Degree and/or equivalent experience
- Proven management and staff leadership skills
- 10+ years Project Control experience on major capital projects in construction/Oil Industry Projects, Refinery or Petrochemical environments in assignments of increasing responsibility, complexity, and scale.
- 8+ years of Cost Controls experience
- Willing and able to work on a temporary assignment in Anchorage during the off-season
- High technical competency in the field of Project Controls with an expertise in Cost Engineering, Budgeting, Forecasting, Change Management, Accruals and General Accounting, as well as expert use of Project Controls systems.
ConocoPhillips contract opportunities are for project-based or other short-term engagements that require specialized skills. Successful candidates for contract opportunities will not be considered employees of ConocoPhillips or any of its subsidiaries nor will candidates be eligible for employment benefits. Candidates looking for regular full-time employment opportunities should begin their search here: https://careers.conocophillips.com/
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, Project Management or Engineering.
- Certification(s) in the project management discipline from a recognized organization (Primavera, PMI, AACE etc).
- SAP Knowledge.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Demonstrated communication skills to influence contractors to implement the Willow Project Management Procedures.
- Knowledge of proprietary computer software systems used for project management, tracking, controlling, and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability for development of reports for and presentations to management.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines and across organizational boundaries.
- Listens actively and invites dialogue for shared understanding, then influences and acts to drive performance and achieve results.
- Builds strong relationships based on trust and seeks collaboration across organizational boundaries to achieve goals.
- Ability to balance short- and long-term priorities.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to drive creativity, innovation and continuous improvement.
- Self-motivated, team player.