ConocoPhillips is a leading oil and gas company which is hiring a Project Controls Specialist IV for contract positions. The Project Controls Specialist IV is a specialist, knowledgeable in all aspects of project services and contract management.
Located on Alaska’s North Slope in the National Petroleum Reserve (NPR-A), the Willow project is estimated to produce 180,000 barrels of oil per day at its peak.
The economic impact of the Willow project will be sizable. According to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) estimates, Willow could generate between $8 billion and $17 billion in new revenue for the federal government, the state of Alaska, the North Slope Borough, and local communities. The initial phase of Willow development will include a new Willow Central Processing Facility (WCF), three drill sites, pipelines, roads, bridges and supporting infrastructure.
The Willow project is spread over several phases and areas.
2023 – 2025 - Detailed Design
2023 – 2024 - WOC Fabrication
2025 – 2027 - WOC North Slope Installation and Commissioning
2025 – 2027 - WCF / DS Sealift Module Fabrication
2027 – 2029 – WCF / DS North Slope Installation and Commissioning
Willow will be a greenfield design including all processing facilities, utilities, drilling equipment, camp, and power generation.Key Accountabilities
- Defining the Project Services deliverables and accountabilities; delegating to Project Control resources and track/monitor/review/QA the completion.
- Leading the Project Services resources to provide Project Services deliverables to Project Team in accordance with Willow Project standards and procedures for:
- Cost Administration
- Change Management
- Progress Measurement
- Communicating to the Project Controls Manager-Infrastructure and the construction team any scope, schedule, or cost risks/opportunities in a timely manner.
- Communicating to the Project Controls Manager-Infrastructure variances from the approved ConocoPhillips Standards and Policies.
- Provide feedback to Project Controls Manager-Infrastructure on project services personnel performance.
- Being a leader in HSE performance by communicating, fostering, supporting, and enforcing the Willow HSE policies, procedures, guidelines, requirements, and objectives.
- Ensure that existing Willow procedures for project services including control cost, planning, and scheduling, progress measurement, change management and reporting are followed.
- Establish and maintain the Willow North Slope Facilities construction Project Scopes WBS’s (if required).
- Provide oversite on cost management and reporting of all North slope facilities construction costs and time phased spend plans including value of work done, forecast at completion [FAC], trends, change orders, and variance analysis for use by all major project stakeholders.
- Provide oversite of the analysis of all incoming cost data and the early warning process by variance and trend analysis and recommend viable recovery or work around plans as required to the construction team.
- Provide planning and scheduling oversite for all the North Slope Facilities construction planning and scheduling activities, from preparing baseline schedules, updating the schedules with actuals and forecasts, incorporating subcontractors’ schedules into the Willow project schedule, and providing critical path evaluations.
- Provide oversite on progress and performance measurement.
- Register and evaluate all change orders for cost impact against the Willow budgets and schedule.
- Interface and coordinate with the project team and Contractor’s Project Controls team (where necessary) to ensure that all cost data is incorporated into the integrated project budget and forecast in a timely and accurate manner.
- Work with the Construction team and Contractor’s to ensure that contractors provide all the project controls deliverables according to the contract exhibits from cost, schedule, to progress deliverables.
- Ensure that contractors prepare baseline schedules, update, and maintain the schedules and prepare critical and subcritical path analysis weekly.
- Ensure that contractors are providing cost reporting tabular and phasing that reflect budget, value of work, actuals and forecast and all variance explanations.
- Analyze contractor-prepared cost performance reports using Earned Value methods.
- Provide oversight of the change/trend management process of contractors and stewarding the owner’s trend and change management process.
- Review/approve contractor cost/progress reports.
- Coordinate the preparation and approval of Purchase Orders and Requisitions to authorize work.
- Coordinate with SCM for the proper project close-out.
- Current/valid driver’s license
- Bachelors’ Degree and/or equivalent experience
- Proven management and staff leadership skills
- 10+ years Project Control experience on major capital projects in construction/Oil Industry Projects, Refinery or Petrochemical environments in assignments of increasing responsibility, complexity and scale.
- 7+ years of Project Controls supervision/management experience
- Willing and able to work on a temporary assignment in Anchorage during the off-season
- High technical competency in the field of Project Controls with an expertise in Cost Engineering, Budgeting, Forecasting, Change Management, Accruals and General Accounting, planning and scheduling as well as expert use of Project Controls systems.
ConocoPhillips contract opportunities are for project-based or other short-term engagements that require specialized skills. Successful candidates for contract opportunities will not be considered employees of ConocoPhillips or any of its subsidiaries nor will candidates be eligible for employment benefits. Candidates looking for regular full-time employment opportunities should begin their search here: https://careers.conocophillips.com/
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, Project Management or Engineering.
- Certification(s) in the project management discipline from a recognized organization (Primavera, PMI, AACE etc).
- Demonstrated interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Demonstrated communication skills to influence contractors to implement the Willow Project Management Procedures.
- Knowledge of proprietary computer software systems used for project management, tracking, controlling, and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability for development of reports for and presentations to management.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines and across organizational boundaries.
- Listens actively and invites dialogue for shared understanding, then influences and acts to drive performance and achieve results.
- Builds strong relationships based on trust and seeks collaboration across organizational boundaries to achieve goals.
- Ability to balance short- and long-term priorities.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to drive creativity, innovation and continuous improvement.
- Personal accountability - makes commitments and is accountable for obtaining results.
- Self-motivated, team player.