Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (including but not limited to the following; other duties may be assigned
- Under limited supervision regularly and customarily performs and/or assists in the performance of any work required for the maintenance and operation of plant equipment.
- The duties will be those outlined in the job description for the job to which he/she is assigned.
- Works alone or with others as a team as directed.
- May be required to oversee the work of others of similar or lesser classifications. At top step of progression, will be required to operate the control room(s) and may be required to oversee the work of contract personnel in the absence of supervision.
- Observes, records and evaluates data; maintains and reviews operational and maintenance reporting logs and performs other necessary clerical work incidental to the job.
- Will be assigned outside or inside duties. Will work shift work, scheduled work, overtime, or irregular hours as may be necessary or requested to maintain continuity of service of the station or system.
- Ensures adequate turnover of information between shifts.
- Reads blueprints, instruction manuals, and other similar documents as necessary for proper operation, troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair of equipment.
- Cooperates and communicates fully with all organizational personnel. Works alone or with others as required.
- Maintain high standards of safety and housekeeping.
- Must be knowledgeable to an act upon emergency procedures during non-routine situations to maintain personnel safety and continuity of service.
- High School or Vocational School education.
- Must have at least two (2) years' experience in power plant maintenance or operations, or the equivalent, such as prior job experience or military training OR an equivalent educational experience where the employee must have completed one (1) year in an Associates' Degree Program with courses in electricity, electronics, instrumentation or a related field OR three (3) courses in one of those same fields with content satisfactory to the company in a post high school accredited curriculum.
- Must possess or obtain a 3rd Class Wilmington Stationary Engineer's License within six (6) months of hire date.
- In depth knowledge of utility of industrial facility materials practices preferred.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Planning and organizing skills.
- Safety awareness and adherence to regulatory, company and site policies and procedures.
- Decision making and problem solving skills.
- Create a climate conductive to team success. Cooperates fully with all other members of the organization and other departments. Must be able to deal properly with the public, vendors, contractors, and in the best interest of the company.
- Must possess a valid driver's license at all times.
- Must be able to pass qualification tests (EEI MAS/POS Test) prior to the Company awarding the position.
- Must be able to talk, walk, stand, sit, stoop, reach above shoulder, climb, and crawl, do heavy lifting, and must be able to distinguish colors.
- Must possess or obtain valid TWIC credentials within six (6) months of hire date.
- Maintain high standards of safety, environmental compliance and housekeeping at all times.
Additional Calpine Information:
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here